VŠECHNY LEKCE ZDE
For example, if you address someone informally when it should be done in the formal style, it can complicate things and cause some real problems.
While the reasons for this certainly vary, try to remember what should be an obvious and simple rule: use informal letters when they are appropriate, use formal letters where and when they’re required.
In any language, there are of course many different ways to say things. Certainly, English is no exception. Here are 12 of some of the most commonly used opening sentences for writing letters in English:
1) "I am writing to inquire about..."
2) "Thank you for your letter of March 13th, I sincerely appreciate it."
3) "With reference to your letter of June 4th, ..."
5) "I recently saw your advertisement in the (or on the, as in on TV) concerning (or about)..."
6) "Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is ..."
7) "I am taking the time to write to you about..."
9) "I am in receipt of your letter dated September 5, 2007 for which I thank you."
10) "In response to your letter of ..."
11) "Just a short note to acknowledge receipt of your letter dated..."
12) "I wanted to take a moment to thank you for ..."
(Part III continues tomorrow...)
Jokes of the Day
The "Dumb" Laws Keep Coming
Georgia: Chickens are not allowed to walk across the roads.
Comment: I guess this means that the many jokes and riddles which begin with the phrase "Q: Why did the chicken cross the road?" A: Because he could, he didn’t live in Georgia!" must have upset some lawmakers.
Arkansas: It is illegal for a man to beat his wife more than once a month.Comment: WHY is it "legal" to beat any woman at all?
Najdete ji také v bezplatném deníku Metropolitní expres.