VŠECHNY LEKCE ZDE
Examples: "He just zipped through traffic and made it here in only ten minutes" or "She zipped right through her final exam and got the highest mark out of everyone in the class."
Zip and Zip Up
Another definition for the word zip has to do with zipper.
Zippers are a type of fastener that people use to hold two pieces of cloth together. Zippers, or what some people call "zips," can be found on pants, backpacks and other bags, as well as on boots and shoes, or even on some shirts. Examples:
"He forgot to zip himself up after he finished using the bathroom, he was so embarrassed when the class saw his underwear sticking out," or "Make sure you zip (or zip up) your backpacks thoroughly. You don’t want anything to fall out."
When something or someone is "zippy," this means that they are very fast or that they do things very fast. Examples:
"He’s rather zippy, it only takes him four seconds to put that electronic device together" or "Don’t pay any attention to him, he’s used to zipping around all the time because he is always in a hurry."
Zip and Zip Code
Still another definition of the word zip has to do what the British call postal codes.
In American English, the term postal code is not really used. Instead, the term zip code is used. Zip codes are those numbers or letters which appear at the end of an address, which helps insure its proper delivery.
When a person "doesn’t have zip," it means they have nothing. Example:
"My boss didn’t give me zip this year concerning my salary. I still make the same money."
Joke of the Day: MORE "Dumb" Laws
1. According to the laws in Wynona, Oklahoma, you must tie your car up just like you would a horse, whenever it is parked.
2. According to the laws in Oklahoma, a woman must have a license in order to do her own hair! Obviously, millions of women BREAK this law each day.
3. In Oklahoma, it is against the law for women to do any sort of gambling while they are naked. The idea is that the men would get "too distracted," and the women might be able to cheat and win.
5. To prove to you that we are not "picking on" the great state of Oklahoma, in the state of Georgia, when people take baths they are not allowed to put orange peels in the water.
6. In Hawaii, you can be fined if you do not own a boat.
Najdete ji také v bezplatném deníku Metropolitní expres.