VŠECHNY LEKCE ZDE
The first definition of the word yellow has to do with a color. While the dictionary defines yellow as “the primary color between green and orange in the visible spectrumof light” this definition (although correct) doesn’t help many people “see” or visualize what yellow looks like.
To perhaps best illustrate what the color yellow looks like, just think of the standard yolk of a chicken’s egg, or a ripe lemon found in nature.
When someone is “yellow” this is another way of saying that they are afraid to face something, or they refuse to do it. The term comes from the Old West days, when people (men especially) would call each other “yellow” when they felt the other person was not being brave or “macho” enough.
Examples: “He’s yellow beneath the skin, he won’t do anything about how she treats him” or “He’s yellow, he won’t stand up to you.”
In a similar way, when someone has a “yellow belly” this means that they lack the courage to do whatever it takes, or they are afraid for some reason. It might be justified, or it might not be.
While this term is usually said towards a person as a criticism, the term “yellow belly” is actually neutral, and simply means they do not have what it takes or won’t do what it takes to face a problem or solve an issue.
The term “yellow man” is not only considered to be slang, but it is also blatantly racist. It refers specifically to people of Chinese nationality, and it is NOT “something positive” to say.
While in the English language it IS certainly OK to refer to Afro- Americans as “Black”, it is NOT permissible or “OK” to refer to Chinese people or any Asians as “Yellow men”.
Remember, this term is racist, and should never be used.
Yellow Brick Road
When someone is “following the yellow brick road” this means that they are following things that are either a fantasy or imaginary, or it could mean that everything is going very well.
Examples: “He just thinks that the company will just keep following the yellow brick road to success and have no problems” or “He follows his own yellow brick road. One day, it’s not going to lead to where he thinks.”
The reference for the phrase “yellow brick road” comes from the famous Hollywood classic movie The Wizard Of Oz, one of the most popular movies of all time.
Jokes of the Day
Totally Useless Facts
1. The temperature of every fart at the very moment of its “Big Bang” literal creation is 37degrees Celsius.
2. Most people’s farts are infact caused by the presence of E. coli bacteria.
3. The average fart is reallycomposed of roughly 59% Nitrogen, 21% Hydrogen, 9% Carbon Dioxide, 7% Methane, and just 4% or less (dependingon the person’s diet) of Oxygen. Barely 1% of a fart’s actual ingredients makes it really stink.
4. Most people love the smell of their own farts, but not the smell of other people’s farts, even if it is identical.
5. The average fart, when released, travels at the speed of 3 meters per second. This means that if they last long enough, people cannot outrun them.
6. Women would never admit to this fact, and don’t ask them, but yes, they DO in fact fart on average just as much as men do, except for heavy beer and meateaters, which tend to be men.
7. The life form on this planet which produces the greatest amount of farts in proportion toits body size and weight is the common house Termite.
8. The word “fart” is British, it is not an American invention.
The word comes from the Old English word “feortan” which means literally “to break wind.”
Key Article Words in English
chicken’s egg = slepičí vajíčko
Najdete ji také v bezplatném deníku Metropolitní expres.